NPD Numbers for May 2013
The NPD Numbers for May of 2013 are in and Injustice: Gods Among Us was the best selling game of the month. The DC fighting game was also the best selling game of April 2013. However, the month overall saw a noticeable decline in software sales, 25% to be exact, though the 3DS software sales were up 60% from the year before.. However, NPD Group Analysist Liam Callahan says this only represents about half of the true consumer retail spend for the month.
“These sales figures represent new physical retail sales of hardware, software, and accessories, which account for roughly 50 percent of the total consumer spend on games,” Callahan said in a statement. “When taking into account our preliminary estimate for other physical format sales in May such as used and rentals at $91 million, and our estimate for digital format sales including full game and add-on content downloads including micro-transactions, subscriptions, mobile apps, and the consumer spend on social network games at $339 million, the total consumer spend in May is $787 million.”
On the hardware side of things, total sales dropped 31% to $96 million. The Xbox 360 was the top selling console for the 29th straight month with 114,000 units sold and the 3DS sold the best year-over-year trend. For the full statistics, check out the charts for yourself below:
MAY US GAME SALES (May 5-June 1, 2013)
OVERALL DOLLAR SALES
Total retail sales: $386.3 million (-25%)
Non-PC hardware: $96.0 million (-31%)
Non-PC software: $175.1 (-31%)
Accessories: $115.3 (-6%)
Total software: $187.6 million (-44%)
TOP 10 GAMES FOR June 2013
Title (Platforms) – Publisher
1. Injustice: Gods Among Us (X360, PS3, Wii U) – Warner Bros.
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (X360, PS3, PC, Wii U) – Activision Blizzard
3. Donkey Kong: Country Returns (3DS, Wii) – Nintendo
4. Dead Island: Riptide (X360, PS3, PC) – Deep Silver
5. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS) – Nintendo
6. Metro: Last Light (X360, PS3, PC) – Deep Silver
7. NBA 2K13 (X360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, PSP, PC) – Take-Two Interactive
8. BioShock Infinite (X360, PS3, PC) – Take-Two Interactive
9. Battlefield 3 (Xbox 360, PS3, PC) – Electronic Arts
10. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (X360, Wii, DS, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, PS Vita, PC) – Warner Bros.